Sunday, July 30, 2006

Three kinds of fun

Our spontaneous adventures started with Girly Fun: a trip to Target to get back-to-school clothes. We did get the clothes, but I also found four pairs of cool shoes, all on sale: four pairs for $25! I'd be reluctant to spend $25 on one pair these days, but thought these were wise purchases seeing as I need shoes (my favorite two-pairs are falling apart, and I do have the conference to attend next month...). Unfortunately skirts won't be worn for a while; the ant bites from Friday decided to turn red, swollen and pusy. I think the legs will be in hiding for a while. I counted 28 bites, not easy to hide...















More Girly Fun: Christian's fabulous blueberry and banana muffins, made from scratch















At 4:30 we headed out to Brazos Bend State Park with the idea that we would visit the Observatory: Nerdy Fun. On the way (it took exactly one hour), we passed beautiful fields of corn, fields of what looked like potatoes, horses and cows with calves. This prompted a long conversation about alternative fuels (we're such a couple of dorks). I discovered that Christian has some original ideas of his own to solve the energy crisis (think Fred Flintstone).





























First thing we did was head to the Observatory to buy our tickets. You have to walk down a twisty path that has alligator habitat on either side. Beautiful Creekfield Lake surrounds you and the sound of reptilian croaking is like a symphony.















If you don't like spiders, you may not enjoy your trip to the park very much. While my phobia has been tamed somewhat due to a certain eco-ninja, it was still extremely daunting to have to walk under dozens of webs spun between trees through out park, each with a big fat spider resting right above your head. Some of these puppies were about the size of a tennis ball. One poor girl had obviously gone all the way down the path without seeing them, but on her way back as she approached us, she noticed them and started doing the eight-legged-freaky dance, screaming and crying, her poor mom had to just cover her eyes and drag her down the path, we could still hear her crying when they reached the parking lot. I was surprised I didn't have nightmares last night, but I bet she did!















The three telescope houses were smaller than I had imagined they would be. They were still an incredible image contrasted against the rich colors of the sky and the grass.















Before our viewing-time we had some time to kill, so we headed to the amphitheater to listen to the story of "Wicked John" being told by Park Ranger Glen. After that we walked along the Pilant Slough until the spiders became too unbearable.
















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and CVN to have experienced that wonderful park together. You are the best mom, he is so fortunate. He's going to look back on these times with some great memories.

The photos are great, as usual. Some of the shots you made are of places DWS and I visited last November when we camped there. I even sat and pondered/day-dreamed on some things that were occupying my mind at the time while in those very spots. If I remember correctly, it was right after I composed my first compilation CD.

For some reason, I find that interesting.