Thursday, May 25, 2006

Time to go home...

I was greatly inspired today. Inspired and moved to the point of goosebumps. Guy Hagstette and Tom Bacon spoke at the ULI luncheon about the proposed Downtown Park and the Sabine to Bagby project. I'm extremely proud of the City's wave of redevelopment, but today I realized that not only am I a very small part of making this all happen, but I actually will be (and am) reaping the benefits of the downtown revitalization. Tom described S2B as "a poem about Houston, written into the landscape." Anyone who's spent any time leaning on a railing gazing into the bayou, watching a blue heron stalk its pray as if you weren't even there, or who has walked the trail wishing it could have the same awe-inspiring affect on everyone, knows that poem and knows it by heart.

Later in the day Brave Architecture held their 2nd annual open house. Always a crowd-pleaser, they didn't fail me. Great hor'dourves, and a great place to catch up, mingle and meet. Kathy joined me and we ended up dining at Kam's across the street. She filled me to the brim with my second dose of inspiration for the day. She always does. Boy, does that lady have her head screwed on, and unlike me, she managed to catch the thread just right. We talked careers, cars, housing, investment, and of course, sustainability. We could just go on for hours, and we do. They finally turned off the house lights and it dawned on us we were being thrown out. Good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Bacon, he speaks me language. Are you sure you didn't compose that poem for him?

Maybelline said...

Yeah, Bacon is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He was sizzling during his speech; he knows his stuff and definitely didn't leave with egg on his face.

And no, I didn't write the poem, but it did seam awfully familiar : )