Monday, October 10, 2005

Wings Over Houston

If you weren't there you certainly missed out.

The F-18F Super Hornet. At 117 decibels it was incredibly loud. Apparently ear pain can start at 120 decibels; which explains why 70% of the crowd (even military personnel) had their fingers stuffed in their ears. I thought the Hornet was the coolest thing I had seen for a while, but then...
















Along came the AV-8 Harrier Jump Jet. I grew up watching these things on TV, I never dreamed I would see one in real life, let alone watch one do the vertical take-off, hover for at least 3 minutes, slowly reverse, hover again with it's nose dipped, then do the vertical land. Breathtaking.








The F-117A Nighthawk (Stealth Fighter) was pretty cool, I shouldn't say this, especially when you consider it's one of the most expensive military aircraft ever built ($45M per plane) but up close it looked like a cheap cardboard toy. Sorry Lockheed.








Of course, Christian wanted to see the AH-64 Apache Attack Helicopter. I think we stopped by it on the way out, but I was so intrigued with the Harrier that I missed the Apache completely. Bummer. Anyway, a fun and sunburnt day was had by all. Even the hotdogs were good. Can't wait until next year's Wings.

No comments: