Friday, November 11, 2005

I've come to the not so hard to arrive at conclusion that I hate to write. Posting blogs doesn't count because no one cares if you mith smell words or if what you sense doesn't say make. I'm talking about writing proposals - ugh.

Today I had to come up with the following gems:
  • The always popular "cover letter" - you've got money and you pay in a timely fashion; please give us work
  • Capability to provide professional services in a timely manner - yep, we can do it
  • Past performance in terms of quality work and compliance with performance schedules - we got it done, eventually
  • Demonstrated knowledge of local building codes - there's a book and yes, we look in it
  • Overall team approach towards the provision of comprehensive services as required by this RFP - we're a team and we provide the services which you are asking for, duh

In other words - Bullshit. I'm not very good at it, it involves long, waffling sentences that include grand, meaningful words. Someone that is adept at BS is the fabulous, and I mean FABULOUS DARLING, Mr. Charles Birnbaum, FASLA

founder of the Cultural Landscape Foundation and overall cutie-pie. He can rattle on for hours about the importance of historical landscape preservation as proven at our office on Wednesday. I say rattle, but really it's far from rattling, it's almost hypnotic and dreamy and extremely informative. Miss Margaret (who, of course, was immediately taken with CB) and I came to the conclusion that he actually makes up some of his big words. Maybe I should take a well preserved leaf from his book, Design with Culture: the one he personally signed for me...

No comments: